My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

dancing on tables

My mother says that every time she dances on a table she's one step closer to liberation. I've seen her get up on restaurant tables, a poker table, and the tables of many open minded friends.

The other night while we were having our writers feast at the restaurant, my mother approached our charming waiter Harold and asked: "Harold, do you mind if I dance on the table?" "On the table?" He repeated in a French accent most women admitted made them want to take him home. "Yes, on the table."

Handsome Harold proceeded to pick out some appropriate music, filling the room with the voice of a sultry French male singer. And up on the table she went. We clapped, we cheered, and watched confused staff occasionally pass through the room. Eventually everyone was dancing, the room filled with writers, with women, all moving their bodies in any way that pleased them. We twirled, turned, clapped and snapped our fingers. The energy was beautiful, and in my mother's attempt to get one step closer to liberation, she liberated us all.

It's funny how easy it is so to stay imprisoned in our bodies. To say we're okay when we're not. To tuck our darkest secrets so deep inside that they intoxicate our insides. The writing course taking place has a lot to do with breaking down these barriers and opening the cages that hold dark truths. The group of women taking the course are brave, and are pushing their boundaries and opening their souls through movement and writing. It's called Body Soul Writing, and that's exactly what it is.

Over dinner stories were shared. One women spoke about running out in the rain during one of her writing workshops, stripping down to her underwear and rolling in a mud hole. Women spoke about skinny dipping, nude beaches, swimming topless in the ocean in Cuba.

All this helped me realize I still have a lot of living to do. I still have so many walls to break down and so many boundaries to cross.

I don't want to live feeling restricted, and although I'm not going to burn my bra or run down the street naked, I'd like to make some changes.

I'm inspired by knowing that I still have many oceans to swim in, cultures to taste, people to meet, and a world of colour to discover. Most women in this group are still living this life of discovery, and only add to my belief that age is meaningless. Many of these fine creatures will never grow old.

Over the past few days there have been fears, tears and a lot of pushing. I have sat in the back seat, working mostly in the kitchen, yet still a part of this womb that's been created. There is a warmth between all the women, a sense of love and protection. Some come in and hug me before breakfast. I feel as if I've learned to love all over again. Even that's a liberating feeling.

the women dance
my mother dances on tables..

4 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

I can see how you have turned into the woman you are...you have such a wonderful role model! I am so glad you are getting this experience! Your experiences now are giving you such great fuel for awesome post!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Carl Carlsberg said...

Damn, your mom is the greatest. And this workshop looks like a bloody riot.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

I really admire your mom for dancing on tables. Really, that is the coolest thing. I wish I could be more like that, hell maybe I will be.. It's true, we completely lie about how we're feeling, just to avoid..what really? Interesting blog, made me think..

11:35 AM  
Blogger blacsoc said...

I remember the year before this trying to get the glasses and bottles off the table before your mom got onto the table to dance. Happy holidays. me being one of the chefs at the restaurant and last night che for the workshop.Great memories your geordie friend

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home