My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 12, 2005

come on baby, light my life up

The light was incredible on Sunday.

It climbed up every surface; it painted roads, buildings, rooftops, and made even the palest faces glow.

I bought a bag of sweet Haribo French candy and walked for hours. I got lost, and actually felt my jaw drop when I ended up on the Champs Elysees, surrounded by a mass of tourists, when I had thought I was in a completely different location.

Christmas is alive in Paris, and everyone is running frantically to the big stores to do their Christmas shopping. Tourists empty their wallets for anything that says "Made in France", while Parisians race to find only the finest for their beloveds.

I think I'm the calmest person in the city right now. I wander dreamily, stare into store windows, and sing Christmas carols in my head. I let people push infront of me and look up at the sky as if it has the answers to all my questions. It seems my eyes are locked up there these days.

I walked until the blue sky was black and the sun had gone to sleep. I picked up small treasures to present to my family on Christmas morning, holding my breath as I walked into stores, prepared to be elbowed in the gut for wrapping paper.

That night I fell into a deep sleep, and woke up to a dark grey sky. I did the daily run of grocery shopping, and felt heavy under the darkness. The light came back when I picked up the kids after school, where both gave me smiles big enough to replace the sunshine.

Everyday has its light.

retro paris
statue of liberty greets paris
sunday afternoon
the lone ranger
caught in the sun
moondance

1 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

The first picture with the eiffel tower and the seine...the way the light is shining...it's breathtaking. Absolutley breathtaking.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home