My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

all my bags are packed

Dear Paris,

We're going on a break.

I'm putting our love affair on hold and running off to Vancouver.

It's not you, it's me. I have needs. I need my family, good coffee in giant mugs, quality sushi on every street, bran muffins, the Pacific Ocean, a hot bath, good hip hop music, and friends who are a bad influence on my liver.

And so for 10 days I'll be switching wine for vodka, espressos for Americanos, brie for orange cheddar, Edith Piaf for Dela Soul, baguette for whole wheat, jam for peanut butter, croissants for doughnuts, cigarette smoke for air, and French for some good Canadian slang.

Instead of "Bonjour mes amis! Ca va?" I'll be able to reform to "What's up bitches?"

I think it's for the best. Me and you are great together, but your waiters are snobby, your men are stalkers, and your coffee cups are too small.

But fear not mon amour, I'll be back. I still want to get to know you better. I still have many pastries to try, different yoghurt flavours to taste, wine to drink, and fashionable men to seduce.

I'm not done with you yet mon cheri.

Forever yours,

Gillian

my street

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to get a love letter like this one. Amazing writing, Gillian. Enjoy the re-encounter with your (other) long-lost love, homey Vancouver. God knows that I too am looking forward to a well-deserved break from roast-beef/cheddar bagels, paper cup coffees and peanut-butter silk pie. I'll be home (Belgium) for two weeks exchanging them for nutella baguette, café in my grandmom's porcelain cups and some real ice cream. Don't get me wrong, I'll be craving the former before I even get back, but it'll be good to be with my family and friends at home for a while.

Profitez-en!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeeah
can't wait to see you young g
oh wait...
shucks
shirin

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Il est génial ton blog ! Bravo !

Florent

(non, tous les Français ne sont pas des stalkers ! )

6:37 AM  
Blogger A Novelist said...

That is one thing I would miss by living abrod in Europe, "good coffee in giant mugs." :) Have a safe trip and enjoy!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

Vancouver..hey you'll be nice and close to me! Only a ferry trip away!

Haley

11:54 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Oui, ils sont pas tous des stalkers, et au fond de mon coeur je les aiment vraiment.

And no, not in love with the 16th, but it's where I reside and where life in Paris began for me. And there's easy access to the metro to get elsewhere!

Let me know if you get on that ferry Haley.

Did I mention I've arrived? More stories to come...

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you in Van already?
call me @ 778-773-5784!
Can't wait to see you!

love

lucy

11:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful post. Hope to see you this week, dude. You have my number.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home