My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 03, 2006

just because i love you

When I was a little girl I would follow my brothers everywhere.

I remember skipping down to the candy store beside my brother Mike, and asking him: "Do you love me?"

He said something like: "You're my sister, I have to love you."

I hated the idea that he might not like me if his genetic code hadn't forced him to.

I skipped along beside him, and thought of another question: "Are you a virgin?"

He said something like: "That's none of your business."

I used to take a little metal tray in my room, fill it with all the candy I had, and knock on my brother's door to offer him my bounty.

I wasn't always as nice though. I would often start the fights and then get him in trouble for them. I would knock on his door when he had friends over and beg for him to let me play with them. He was around 14, at the age of trying to be cool, and I was 10, at the age of being obnoxious and obsessed with pink and purple.

And then something happened. We both grew up. We stopped fighting and started helping each other out.

If he made a big mess in the kitchen, he'd offer me ten bucks to clean it.

If I was tired and hungry, he'd make magic in the kitchen and show up with the best salad I'd ever had.

When we both got invited to the same Christmas party, we showed up together, got drunk together, and I didn't get angry when he spilt red wine all over my white top.

When he moved downtown to an apartment complex for artists, I'd take the bus to East Hastings, go up to his place, and we'd record music in his big open room.

My brother is an amazing musician. I miss hearing him strumming his guitar and screaming lyrics. He has an incredible voice, and sings Howie Day better than the man himself. And he's better looking.

He's calm, loving, sensitive, and I when start singing, screaming or dancing, he always joins in. I used to sit in the kitchen daring him to eat things, and he'd always oblige.

I take pride in the fact that our noses and our lips are shaped the same.

It's his birthday today, so I thought I should mention the brother I haven't seen in a year now. I miss him like crazy.

And even if he wasn't my brother, and we met at a party, I'd love him anyways. It'd be kind of hard not to.

Mike Young

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's a great feeling when you finally are able to become friends with your siblings, and you think wow, i've been living with this cool guy for how long? and only now we've become friends? That's just not right.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

that entry is a hell of a birthday present.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is like an incredibly good book that never ends. Josh clearly has excellent taste in friends.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home