My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

come out and play

The French have taught me the importance of getting out.

If there's anything I've noticed about this culture, it's that they're busy, always busy. They are also master planners. They will plan dinner, drinks with friends, trips to museums, road trips to the Ocean, days at the park, picnics, protests, movie dates, coffee, weekends and weekdays.

Les Francais are known for having a high quality of life, and this is because they demand it.

And so I refrain from laziness. I make a few phone calls. I accept invitations. I drop in to see friends. I surround myself with things that make me happy, people that make me happy, and find a new light shining over my life.

If I let myself contemplate the idea of doing something, I generally won't do it.

And so I get out, I give in, and life seeps into me deeper than today's heavy rain.

“Contemplation often makes life miserable. We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live.”
Chamfort (French playwright, 1741-1794)

smooth step
le philosophe
protest
monsieur
fleurs
hand in hand
line of fire
stranger
bonfire by the Seine
lights in the water

3 Comments:

Blogger R said...

Love the quote Gillian.

I think I reallly needed to read that.

And I totally agree with your observations on how the French demand to live their lives.


Raj

10:19 PM  
Blogger oldominion@yahoo.com said...

Gill,
love these quotes you've been posting.....this one and the one from Mark Twain about spring fever. bma

6:02 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I love the quote. I need to apply that to my life more.

xoxo

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home