My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

i've got dreams

Peter Mansbridge stands tall and smiling, his face flawlessly powdered and glowing under the studio lighting.

He's the poster child of The National, CBC's favourite straight-faced anchor man.

Standing before us, he's Mr.Cool, answering our amateur questions with experience.

He talks about covering stories back when we were toddlers, and I realize his resume allows him to be so calm and collected.

The group of us stand looking up to him, arms crossed, faces eager, all female journalism students looking to make it in the field.

He looks down on me, eyes sparkling under the lights.

"It's good to dream big. It's good to want to sit up here one day," he says.

I laugh. Minutes before, I sat in his chair, posing for a photo, and basically told him his job would be mine one day. Serious personalities tend to make me especially facetious. At least I made him smile.

"It's good to dream big," he continues, "but you have to start small."

He started out as a small town radio host. He never even finished high school. He taught himself to be a reporter, and climbed his way to the top because he had a strong voice and even stronger ambitions.

I realize that if I want to dream big, I have to start working. I need to read more newspapers, watch the news, attempt to understand politics, and expand my knowledge as far as I can. Then I can put my face out there.

Months ago I thought I was going to leave the journalism program. But as soon as I saw the bright lights of broadcast, felt the camera in my hands, and experienced putting a piece together, I was sold. It's quick, it's meaningful, it's visual and it gets put out there immediately.

So I'll take the advice from the big man with the blue tie and powdered face. I'll start small, but I'll keep dreaming, because it's always what I've done best.

anchor woman?
CBC The National

6 Comments:

Blogger YY said...

Gill,

Live your dreams. You look like a natural in the big man's seat. And I know that already you've turned dreams into reality.

And note Peter's buttoned-up shirt. Not sexy. Do you think your top may be a mite revealing? Smile. (A mother is allowed such comments.)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gil, you look good sitting at that anchor desk . . . . its yours for the taking . . . GO FOR IT!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easily the hottest girl in that picture. Having read this blog for many months.. I know the intelligence is there. You are certainly young but u do have an older soul. The best thing is u look young like u should at your age.

11:17 PM  
Blogger writersblock said...

gdjytfyh! i am so jealous, our class never got to go see petey! and the others are right, you look like you belong in that big chair! :)

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having worked on-air since getting my undergrad degree in '94, I can tell you that this career is not for the weak-kneed or those who lack self-confidence. I have only met you once but I have been reading and enjoying your blog for some time. The prerequisites to do well in the media are an insatiable curiosity...about everything, and a love of storytelling. I wish you the very best. I have worked in television, radio and print, and now am moving into new media with a video podcast I will debut within a month. I would love to offer any advice you'd like! Best wishes.

8:57 PM  
Blogger thestraightpoop said...

Hey there! When is your application and demo tape due? I don't know if I have your e-mail or not, so send me a quick note at tamaran at shaw dot ca and I will tell you all I know about dynamic demo tapes!

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home