My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

blonde ambition

She met me in front of the church with a bouquet of flowers and a big smile. I think I was still a little girl the last time I saw that smile in person.

But there she stood in the flesh: a tall, natural beauty, with an angelic face and a small black suit case.

in my apartment

Through our families Jen and I have known each other since I was in pampers. I have the home videos to prove it. She adored me when I was younger, always giving me the full attention my big blonde head demanded. And even though it's been years since we've seen each other in the flesh, we kept in touch through blogs and emails, and it felt like having a close friend arrive in Paris.

Then again, I'm pretty sure a lot of people could feel like Jen was an old friend from the start. Her easy going nature makes her extremely approachable. Could that be the reason the guy at the table next to us told us every detail of his wife's scandalous affair while we sipped wine at a bar? Either that or he saw her smile.

It was great to have a visitor. Not to mention one who brought me the ultimate goodie bag: instant oatmeal (upon request), fashion magazines (in English), four great books (can't stop reading Kitchen Confidential), four toothbrushes (she works for Colgate), Tazo tea (how she knew I was a tea addict, no one knows), and a sample kit of Burt's Bees amazing pampering products.

But beyond my love of the material goods, it was great being able to sit back and talk to a woman with a brain in her head. From her marathon running, to her great job, to her appreciation of solitude, she's definitely an inspiration.

And when she bit into her pain au raisin and declared "Life is good!" I knew she was someone I was happy to spend some time with.

morning departure
(Last photo, early in the morning as I head to work and Jen heads to the train station.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

You are somthing special, Gil! I hope you know that!

xoxo

3:57 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

I'm glad you had someone there to visit you. You've had quite a few visitors considering where you are. aimee,your mama,jen and I think those two guys you went to school with?? Yeah, I follow up on the blog every other day or so. As I'm sure you can tell..haha
Haley

5:43 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Glad your keeping up with me consistently Haley! Yes, lots of visitors, got to love them. Aimee is back with me next week when her Euro bus tour is over.

Foxly, thanks for reminding me, you're pretty damn special yourself.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigi, as Jen refers to you. I'm so glad that she was able to visit you. I've known Jen since I was 2 and I can't wait to hear all her stories. I must say you nailed it on the head describing her. She's simply an amazing person with such an admiration for life. Just like yourself. Apparently we babysat for you when we were young, my apologies I don't quite remember, but I do remember watching your dad's name in the credits of a movie. You are such an amazing writer. Thanks for keeping us in touch with the ongoings of life in Paris.
Michelle

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home