My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 30, 2005

wake up and smell le cafe

The other day I crawled out of bed, and a heaviness that had been weighing down on me was gone.

It's amazing having my family here, as well as time off to appreciate their company. These past weeks I've been reminded of all the good things life has to offer. I've been reminded of everything Paris has to offer.

Food for instance. From the box of chocolates I devoured Christmas morning, to the delicate little chocolate ball presented with my coffee at delicabar (the Bon Marche's uber hip cafe), I've realized that Paris knows chocolate. If I don't make it to heaven it's okay, because I'm going to stuff my face with this stuff until I die.

I've also been designated as the chef for all the nights we eat in. This is a role I enjoy, especially when I can use as many herbs and spices as I please, without the whine of children saying "Ew, what's that?!"

And then there's fashion. I spend most afternoons with my mother, wandering the boutique lined streets or shopping with our eyes in the grands magazins of Galleries Lafayette or the Bon Marche. We try on a dozen hats, slide our fingers over beautiful shoes, zip open hand bags, and are happy leaving without buying anything.

But we do splurge occasionally. Paris is all about luxury items, and it's wrong not to sample a few. So we bought wooly gloves, sexy underwear, and had our dirty nails transformed with French manicures.

I've spent a couple of evenings with my brother, in search of a cool Parisian scene. We've dined at Lo Sushi, where each customer gets a computer screen and can chat with other people in the restaurant. We've done dessert at the Palais de Tokyo, our favourite modern art museum. We visited the famous Oberkampf area, for it's cool bar scene. We even got out to see a French film, Luc Besson's newest creation, Angel-a. It was impressive, and slightly out of this world. You have to love an angel who looks about seven feet tall, chain smokes and dresses like a prostitute.

In just over a day it will be 2006.

Let's celebrate this past year and brace ourselves for a new one.

my bro and i
metro girls
maman
delicabar

2 Comments:

Blogger APostcardFrom said...

I saw your comment on La Coquette and couldn't help but follow the link back here. I spent last year as an aupair for a family in the 16th and had an amazing time. My advice for breaking out of the "nanny circuit"? Try meeting up with some of the assistants teaching english in France. I found it tough to break into many French social circles (eventually made my way) but I ended up making a best friend out of another American working as an assistant. (www.assistantsinfrance.com) I've left Paris - for now - but have the best memories...good luck!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Gill! I wish you all the best, and I hope your 2006 is as eventful as your 2005.
Cheers

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home