My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

love beyond amour

Her long body is sprawled out on the grass, her face glowing in the sun.

I throw myself across her.

“Just over a month now. And then there’s a new life in Toronto. No more kids, none of this.”

And as much as this life here is growing on me, I know I’ve got something to look forward to.

One of my roommates for next year spent the last few days in Paris with me. Shacked up in my tiny apartment, it became clear that this was someone I wanted to live with. I have a good life awaiting me back in Canada.

The days were magical. Walking in the sun, the rain, smiling under umbrellas and walking under the Eiffel tower at night.

We ate cheaply and well. Salads and artichokes out on the balcony. Big pastries in the morning. Lemon tarts for dessert. Wine with lunch and dinner.

Her beautiful face smiled first thing in the morning, and talked with me late into the night.

She came to the park with the kids and took a giant load off, made my life easier, and switched up my day-to-day rituals.

She met my Turkish family in Montmartre, and was overwhelmed by the amount of love that one small restaurant, and one family could give. When I hugged my Turkish mother goodbye-she says I’m her other daughter-we walked down the wet street and she thanked me for the experience.

They’ve been a rich few days, so rich that I know something just as good lies ahead.

You can take the girls out of Paris, but you can’t take away their joie de vivre.

Robyn and Gill
pastry queen
sunday market
boucherie
rainy day
hidden alley
rock star

paris by night
eiffel tower
au pair in the park

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...could I be more jealous?!! Paris in the summer is beyond. You two look like you're having the best time. You will be unstoppable back in T.O. Leaving the Apple for Toronto on Thursday. Toronto in summer also rocks.

Gill, so bummed you're leaving Paris. But looking forward to entries from Toronto.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kindest words from a lovely lass. But, where are the photos of escargot? Miss you already x

10:37 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

I'm writing this comment from my hole in the wall office (it's literally an alcove, I have no door) from the government building in Terrace and all I can think about is how jealous I am. But I can't wait until I'm the third roommate in your love triangle! I'm stoked for September, living with you ladies is going to awesome.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

i miss the three of you girls. I too am also jealous, and i don't even get an alcove: i get a desk in an open room with like 10 other desks. sweet.

Anyway, get burns drunk and come back with some stories for carla and I. God knows we won't have any from Club Neptune and Hanky Panky's.

come home soon you two.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Something tells me next year will be rich with it's own stories. Having Robyn here allowed me to realize how much I'm looking forward to it. Carla, it's going to be one amazing love triangle. Josh, you know you're always welcome on our couch. See you both soon! Summer is going to fly by, and soon Toronto begins again.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home