My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

they say it's your birthday

I'm twenty years old.

My life lies before me, past and present.

I take the opportunity to ask myself what I really want.

I decide, now, or never, is the time to take myself seriously.

The world circles around me, busy, bad, bold, and beautiful, and it's up to me to find my balance.

Today the sky was a heavy gray, the rain fell in buckets and everyone wore their best frown. I felt a push into adulthood, a life of bills, responsibilites and worry. Everyone on the subway was going somewhere, but no one looked happy about where they were going.

But part of growing up is getting through it. So I sat through the three hour philosophy class, under bright yellow lighting, and let the words slide pass me or seep into me. I thought about the good things, and the blue sky that would soon return.

When the evening rolled in the rain finally stopped as my roomate and I stood on the street corner waiting for the streetcar. A mist sat in the sky, hovering over buildings and eating up their rooftops.

You can't predict the weather. I'm learning to make the most of whatever's thrown my way. So I bought myself dinner, kicked back a cocktail, and spent the evening with my roomate, a lovely young woman who makes me smile. The waitresse brought us lemon, rasberry and mango sorbet with a sparkler on top.

The fire in me is still burning, and I plan on keeping it going for as long as possible.

birthday sky
birthday dinner

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Gillian!

Keep that spark burning. . . there is nothing more fulfilling than knowing you have the positive attitude to recognize that when you turn 80, you'll still be kicking ass!

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Gillian. Best wishes and keep the fire going as always.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday darling cousin.
congrats on making it through your teenage years alive and emerging as such a bad ass. keep up the good fight love. i miss you too darling! i need your address so that i can send you some mail.

love.
love.
LOVE!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sorbet sounds like a delicious way to celebrate your birthday.
I'm about to turn 20 myself (on the 29th) and, like you, it's lead me to think about life, growing up and my future.
But let's both keep in mind that, while we are growing up, we are both energetic young woman and sometimes it's okay to be childish too.
Happy belated birthday!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

happy happy birthday, gillian! so you were a birthday gift to your dad, huh?! ;)

great photos. the one of the sky should be framed!

11:27 PM  
Blogger R said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:11 PM  
Blogger R said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Thank you for your incredible entries and letting us in on your thoughts, experiences, and memories!

Enjoy 20.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday G.

ok here's a birthday pop quiz for you.

What did you do Halloween night two years ago?

-J

(answer coming soon)

5:55 PM  
Blogger la femme said...

Happy Belated Birthday.

It did indeed rain buckets in your honour! That's a good omen I think- I love the rain.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feliz Aniversário!*!

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Gill!
It looks like we have the same birthday. No wonder I think you're so cool. Hope you have a great remaining birthday week!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thank you for all the birthday wishes!

Ayah, my love, we should be pen pals. Send me an email with your adress and I'll pass you on mine.

J, I believe I dressed up as a journalist and checked out gay men in drag on Church street.

Zoreh, I always seem to connect with those whose birthdays are close to mine!

7:19 PM  
Blogger B said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Gillian! This is crazy, but October 17th is also my birthday and I turned 30 this year. I spent my birhtday alone in Paris...your former stomping grounds. Enjoy your 20s. You have so much going for you and the 20s are to be lived fully...jump in head first!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Happy belated Birthday! Tried to post at the time but silly Blogger wouldn't let me.

Your party sounds wonderful and I hope the year ahead is filled with everything you wish for - and deserve.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home