My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

leaving San Anselmo in one piece

The streets of California are not made for walking.

Crossing the street this evening a car moved into me, and pushed me forward a couple of feet before stopping. Thank god it was moving slowly. I jumped out of the way, looked at the startled driver, and moved my way back to the sidewalk.

I am still perfectly intact, but amazed by how it feels to come so close to having your body and dreams snapped up in a moment. A few seconds, and a little more speed could have had me in a wheelchair.

Luckily, I am fine, and it made it safely to an authentic Mexican restaurant for spicy prawns, flour tortillas, rice and refried beans. California can always redeem itself with Mexican food. Near death experience? Give me some hot sauce, fresh corn tortilla chips and homemade salsa and all is forgotten. Promise.

Tomorrow we leave this sunshine state and head up into Oregon. I'll miss the sunshine, and the comfort of our friend Carol-an older belle for Carolina- and her cozy home, but am looking forward to new scenery, new tastes, and hopefully some safer sidewalks.

1920s ferry

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Longtime lurker here. Be careful, my dear! Life is so precious. Appreciate every precious moment... which you do, I know. Oddly enough, this is hitting home for me, because this week I got news that one of my friends had a freak mishap ... much like what you are describing here... only her outcome was not so fortunate. This week I found out that my friend will probably be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. She is far too young. I am grateful that you are OK! Enjoy your wonderful life...and all the blessings of good health... and please keep writing!
: )

6:41 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thanks anonymous. I'm sorry to hear about your friend-life is too precious, and sometimes fragile too. I will do my best to live each day as a celebration and to keep writing as well!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

great photo.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home