My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

sweet darkness

There is too much and too little to say.

I have just returned from a weekend in the mountains where I slept for the first time in weeks.

My stay in Vancouver is coming to an end, and I'm already looking back on my time here. As always, it will be hard to fly away from the great Pacific oceans and mountains that climb into the cloudy sky.

I will be leaving with rich memories, many sleepless nights, countless bottles of wine, new an old friendships sparking through rainy nights.

I have let go for the first time in months, and am happy to see this side of myself again.

My internship has come to an end, and finished off with many words of encouragement and sweet goodbyes. It was an experience that will stick to me for years. There were days when I shook from too many cups of coffee and lack of sleep, grew tired of my computer screen and felt uninspired. But there were days where I was trusted to do and learn, and test my feet out in the field. There were days where I laughed enough with the people around me that the hours went by seamlessly. I got to throw out story ideas, feed off of others, learn through practice and observation.

Starting tomorrow I begin my internship at a radio station for a week. I thrive off the thought of trying out a new environment, the fear that will come at first, and the lessons that will be learnt along the way.

And once this is done, I will say my goodbyes, pack my bags, and possibly shed a few tears as my plane makes it's way over the mountains and out of Vancouver. Luckily, France awaits, and this little adventure of my life continues.

Sweet Darkness

When your eyes are tired
the world is tired also.

When your vision has gone
no part of the world can find you.

Time to go into the dark
where the night has eyes
to recognize its own.

There you can be sure
you are not beyond love.

The dark will be your womb
tonight.

The night will give you a horizon
further than you can see.

You must learn one thing:
the world was made to be free in.

Give up all the other worlds
except the one to which you belong.

Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet
confinement of your aloneness
to learn

anything or anyone
that does not bring you alive

is too small for you.

- David Whyte


in the kitchen

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Hi there, loving your work. Nice prose; you really have a skill with the written word, honed in its simplicity.
I keep trying through keeping writing - not as easy as I thought.
regards
Rob Gourdie

8:54 AM  
Blogger A Novelist said...

What a beautiful poem. I can't wait to hear about your adventures in France! :)

9:14 AM  
Blogger laceybediz said...

that pic is stunning... you look so classic and elegant. Glad you learned a lot in Vancouver-- when are you headed to France??-- I fly there dec.26th-- it will be cold..but at least its France!

xx
lace

4:19 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thank you Rob and Raquel!

Lacey-I head down December 2nd! Where in France will you be? Will keep warm with wine and cheese!!

6:16 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

Thanks for the poetic reminder.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home