My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

warm awakening

This morning I woke up
To find I finally
Recognized my own reflection.
I smiled back,
As I would to an old friend.
The bathroom mirror
Reveals myself
In fluorescent yellow
Lighting,
And my ugly traits
Have softened over night.
My stretch marks
And incurable flaws
Scream that I have lived,
And outgrown myself
As a child.
My belly
Tells me I’m a lush,
But ever so lovingly,
And congratulates me
On living so well.
How beautiful
To be a woman;
The weakness
Of all men.
How sensual
To run your hands
Over soft curves,
Rather than protruding
Hip bones.
How breathtaking
To be a breathing being,
Rather than a symbol of style.
I look at myself
As I’d look at a lover:
Delirious in rose coloured
Glasses.
Where did she come from?
When did she begin
To hold herself so tall?
And when did
Such a fragile frame
Find so much strength?
I can't believe
Than I have stunned myself,
And beat my worn out blues.
Outside the sky is grey,
But I've discovered a world
Of colour.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Gill, this is aboslutely AMAZING! I wish I had written it! You never cease to amaze me with your talent!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thank you both so much. The strangest thing was that I actually cried, not out of sadness, after I wrote this. It was a kind of release.

10:45 AM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

I love this.I love that you felt inspired to write these words. I love that you experienced the release.

I think you've created a poem that Patricia Lynn Reilly could have used to introduce her book "Imagine a Woman In Love With Herself:Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness."

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home