My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 15, 2005

city slicker handbags

These bags always just appear.

It started at Value Village in Vancouver, and continued here again in Toronto at Goodwill and Buy the Pound. Small navy blue handbags with nothing to them but a simple retro design.

I've decorated a couple in the past, sold a polka dot bag to my chic French teacher, and gave a kitschy Batman one to a friend. They look good on. For one thing you know some other chick isn't going to walk by with the same bag. But you also know that I put a lot into each one. I didn't have money or mass production in mind. My only drive was my imagination, my addiction to fashion, and my long restless fingers.

This year I've decorated a few in my spare time. Today I made it my goal to finish them, as well as figure out what the hell I want to do with them.

Think of them as mini portraits.

If you are interested, they're going for $30 a pop. A lot of time has been put into each bag. Email me and we'll sort it out; I have no problem sending one out to you if you don't mind paying shipping fees.

Here are the big city bags:

L.A BAG
L.A bag
I painted this baby with excellent gold acrylic paint. The back is plain gold, and I lined the opening with strips of velcro to keep it closed shut.


HONG KONG BAG
Hong Kong bag
This bag has one of my old favorite mini skirts sewn to each side as its outer decor. I had many good times in this skirt. It was even featured in Catwoman while I shook my ass as an extra. And by featured I mean you can't even see me. I added a gold sequin patch on the front, and there is velcro lining in this bag's opening as well. Inside there are visible stitching marks, as everything was hand sewn.


PARIS BAG
front
Paris bag front
back
Paris bag back
This bag speaks for me. It is Paris, it is Edith Piaf's beautiful lyrics, and it is my will to dream. The inside is lined with a hand sewn polka dot lining.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gillian Young said...

Yeah no pressure, the appreciation is enough.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The LA bag is soooooooooooooo ugly. The other ones are nice though.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

It represents the ugliness of L.A. I love it. It might be my favorite. Ugly is the new beautiful.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah? i just came to comment that the LA bag is maybe the coolest thing you've ever made, and i was really surprised to see that "anonymous" would disagree. i think you should bodyrock it instead of selling it, fuck the industry. its so you, in an non-ugly way. way to stand up for yourself though, you're the cutest of the patooties.
i miss our sewing seances.. but im glad you're keeping them alive. i send my love via ouija.
shirin

6:26 PM  
Blogger maral said...

i want the paris bag so badly.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home