My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 08, 2005

eat my words

Throw away your stained cookbooks. You know the ones, chocolate sauce smeared on one page, the next slowly disintegrating. With today's technology, even cookbooks are dated.

There's a revolution taking place in the blog world. One so inspiring that you might feel the urge to whip out your burnt frying pan with a Jamie Oliver grin.

Don't call up the Chinese delivery boy tonight. Tell the pizza boy you need some time apart. You need some space, and he's just not what he used to be. You've grown up, and sadly, the fast food industry hasn't.

My cafeteria diet has had me in the culinary blues. Whatever happened to properly cooked vegetables? Sauce with a bite? And hey, what happened to nutrition?

Now I sit in my residence room staring at my computer screen, a shimmering string of drool gracing my left cheek. I have discovered food blogs.

Food is essential to live. But it is also amazingly sensual if appreciated in the right way.

Cooking is an art, not a two step recipe on the back of a can. And flavor is important, not calories to count on the back of a package.

The other day I took a trip to China town and spent $2.44 on groceries. I bought an eggplant, a zucchini, and a vibrant red pepper. These rank high on my list of favorite vegetables. I was hoping to get some tofu as well, but they only took cash, and my pocket change would only allow me so much.

Back at residence I chopped up the vegetables under the hydrogen lighting of my bathroom, then marinated them in rosemary white wine vinegar (amazingly cheap at our grocery store), olive oil and oregano.

Next I grilled them all separately on my heaven sent George Forman grill, grilling them until desired softness.

The result: amazing. The grilled eggplant was the best, tasting like fries but only better, with a much nicer texture and flavor. It tasted sinfully delicious even though I was basically eating fresh vegetables. Eat this and never eat fast food again. Eating well doesn't have to be boring, or lacking in flavor.
eat your veg

Dessert was packaged, but still a good quality chocolate bar that was well enjoyed.

Here are some of my favorite food blogs:

Seattle Bon Vivant: http://seattlebonvivant.typepad.com/
La Petite Cuisine: http://odelie.blogspot.com/
La Cuillere en Bois: http://lacuillerenbois.canalblog.com/
Cooking With Amy: http://cookingwithamy.blogspot.com/

Bonne appetit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

I don't even like vegetables, but found myself craving them while reading your blog and then seeing the damn picture! Yum! Can't wait to check out the sites!

3:42 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

I'm still loving your writing Gill, and finding it very interesting to follow the thoughts you share. I've come on-line myself. Hope your week at market was better than great.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home