My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

you take me by the heart

This weekend I walked the streets in a skirt and a smile, completely smitten with the city.

I feel as if I’ve been locked up all winter and I’ve finally decided to get outside. Suddenly everything is inviting and the city is my playground. Men have started stopping me in the streets again, strangers seem to smile more, and the terraces are full.

Friday night I found myself feasting in a small restaurant in the Jewish quarter. Under golden lighting a charming dark featured waiter brought us good wine, shots of cherry vodka and a feast of food. An older couple beside us gazed at one another and held hands, while a band in the corner of the room began to play ethnic music.

The night carried us to another bar with other friends, and to a club off the Champs Elysée where French DJs attempted rapping and screamed “SEX, DRUGS, ROCK AND ROLL!” Over a smoke filled room of trendy Parisians.

Saturday I was drawn back out into the night, belting out blues with a friend as we walked the Seine. We stopped to polish off a bottle of wine on a bridge looking at the Eiffel tower, then continued to walk arm and arm, singing into the night.

Sunday, another beautiful day, I found myself in the apartment of a young and beautiful Cordon Bleu chef, sipping cocktails and learning to make a three course meal. In her beautiful apartment we made magic. Three tarts: lemon, pear and raspberry, vegetable soup as a starter, and beef tournedos with béarnaise sauce as a main course. The company was as good as the food, and I was beside myself to be learning the tricks of the trade from a professional.

Paris will never seem the same to me. It’s no longer a dreamy city of romantic tourist attractions, but a real place with real people where I live my life. I know that the metros smell like urine, that the waiters are rude, that the weather is often horrible and that everything is overpriced, but it only makes my love grow fonder.

I don’t need to flirt with the idea of a life in Paris, because we’re in a serious relationship. Every day we get a little bit closer, and it develops into something bigger than me.

The best part? After all this time together, it still knows how to make my heart beat.

walking in the sky
surround me in green
les monsieurs
madame takes her walk
three shadows
make yourself comfortable
pretty girls on the seine
Ari's an artist!
who's that sexy bitch?
Ari at Chez Marianne
underground
rushing towards me
caught in the light

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your pictures characterize a sunny, peaceful afternoon in a city like Paris. It is like the city is taking a day off, just as anyone else. You have a great eye and capture that wonderfully with your camera!

3:39 PM  
Blogger la chipie said...

I stumbled upon your blog today , and spent hours reading thorugh the archives , mesmerized by the truth & beauty of the writing and the extent I could identify to it .great pictures!

3:48 PM  
Blogger NWO said...

Once again, thanks for opening up this part of the world as seen by your eyes and your heart.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thank you so much! It feels too easy in Paris, where everywhere you look is the perfect photo opportunity! I really appreciate the postive feedback, you guys are wonderful.

1:30 AM  
Blogger A Novelist said...

Great photos! The sky in the first picture is absolutely gorgeous.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Gilly. I love your gorgeous photos. Care to let us know which camera did you use to take those beautiful photos?

9:43 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Merci, merci! I use a Nikon Coolpix 4100 camera. A pretty basic digital camera, but it takes good pictures. I also owe a lot to the toolbars on iPhoto that let me play with brightness and contrast!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

That's a very true, and beautiful, way of looking at your life in Paris.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its good to read news from ur 'relationship'...
I love your picture as always.

Hey,my mothe´s trying for years to send me to Paris and i always say no...but after your blog im really thinking about taking her idea....

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beatiful post, as always. It was so much fun to have you guys over, I can't wait to do it again. Thanks for the french lessons. I brought my cheat sheet to Guy Savoy, but ended up just saying, "Oui chef, oui chef, oui chef". Haven't had to use that 'other' phrase you taught me, but we'll see...

Bisous,
Ms. Glaze

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonsoir Gillian!
I like your blog, and the wonderful pics of your city! I were in Paris and liked it a lot! I will surely be back to see and read more! Ciao, Ely by www.occhiettineri.it

11:44 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Julia- Thank you, spring makes Paris much easier to love.

Ms.Glaze- You know I'm here when the defensive vocabulary needs to come in. And I'll say "Oui chef" to you anyday!

Silivia- Come to Paris! It's something you have to see at least once. But try to come in spring, autumn or summer.

Elisabetta and Luggi- Thanks for stopping by, hope I can keep you reading.

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home