My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 02, 2006

you read me like a paperback

This week has been cold, forcing me to find warmth beyond the sunshine.

I found warmth in domestic happiness: making pizza dough from scratch, baking cookies with the kids, getting my laundry done and cooking for myself in my tiny kitchen.

I found warmth in my relationship with the boy I take care of, who spent the day at home with me because of an ear infection, drinking tea with me and talking ninety miles a minute about soccer. We've grown a mutual respect for each other. These days I can't do laundry without him coming to talk to me, following me around the apartment as I do chores.

I found warmth inside of Palais de Tokyo, where I met a new friend for a look around the current exposition, and my ulterior motive, cocktails and dessert in the restaurant.

And today, when the sun finally came out, I took myself closer to the sun, and climbed aboard a hot air balloon that took me up into the sky.

In the evening I came back down to earth, sipped cocktails and dined on tapas with friends, and said goobye to a friend who leaves to India in a few hours. With one friend gone another page has been turned, and I can feel the story of my life here coming to an end. Not now but soon, so soon.

But life goes on, and I continue to chase my daydreams down the sidewalk, knee deep in my Parisian stride, dodging sleazy men and cafe tables. "Bon soir! Princesse! Bon soir!"

Tomorrow my mother arrives, the brightest sunshine of all, and we'll spend three days walking arm in arm, before she takes off to the South.

That'll be another story.

DSCN4726
DSCN4727
DSCN4750
DSCN4753
DSCN4754
DSCN4755
from up above
hot air balloon
goodbye charlie!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Charlie going to blog from India?

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gilly.

I'm in this crazy luxury hotel in Bangkok that I got for super cheap. It's totally 'Lost in Translation' style though. I don't know anyone, don't speak the language and I just lay around in my robe all day wondering what I should do, practically talking to myself. I'm meeting my friend tomorrow though in Northern Thailand. Then we're going to Laos and Cambodia. No more luxury hotels... Well, just wanted to say hi! Miss you darling...

Love,
Morgan

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad your mother is coming soon. Because after you, it's my turn to have some of her special sunshine.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo gill

you should post a picture the family and the kids your staying with
andrew

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo gill

you should post a picture the family and the kids your staying with
andrew

12:32 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

J> He's going to try to!

Morgan> Oh my god! Shirin is there right now too! Don't worry about the language, let your hands do the talking and have fun out there. I miss you too cupcake.

Kate> I'm sorry I won't be joining her in Germany, it's been too long since I've seen you. Have a great time with her and Susan!

Andrew> I've avoided posting pictures of the kids and the family to respect their privacy, as I haven't told them I have a blog.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dolly G:
I just have to say...love that you love your Mama the way you do. I'm with ya, Sistah. I moved 1,200 miles away from mine for love, but Mama and I still speak multiple times a day. She is my best travel partner and my best friend. I would not be where I am today without her. Enjoy Mama's visit. Nothing else makes me feel like a total woman and human being than a few days with my mother by ourselves. We'll be in Paris next March. Hope you're still there!!!

And FYI, I lived in Toronto between the ages of 8 and 12 before moving to Florida. Lots of relatives still in TO, and I do LOVE it. Gotta say, it's not NY or Paris, but I'm getting to know it as an adult, and I can't wait to see more of it. I'll be there in 3 weeks and can't wait. Will let you know how it measures up to the Love and Lusts of my life.

On a final note, I'm totally enjoying your blog!!!

9:26 PM  
Blogger maitresse said...

your pictures, or whatever you do to them in iphoto. drive me crraaaaaaazzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyy.
miss you, can't wait to get back to paris!
xx L

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home