My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 21, 2006

going to the chapel

She walked down the aisle with a tissue in hand, wiping the tears from her eyes.

After a week of events and ceremonies, my cousin exchanged vows with her perfect fit, and was officially married.

We've spent the week on the edge of our seats, as my mother ran around putting the wedding cake together, and event after event took place.

My cousin has just married a man from an Indian family, and even as a bitter, single young woman, I couldn't be happier for these two.

It was a week of colour and taste. We had lunch in India town, bought Indian outfits, bought the blushing bride tools and lingerie for her wedding shower (upon request), ate, drank and made merry.

I've never been to a wedding where the food, music, and entertaiment were so good. There's definitely an advantage into marrying into such a beautiful culture.

Not only has the event brought two families together, but it brought family here from afar, and gave me a chance to get to know my dad's side of the family all over again.

I've even been blessed by the presence of my beautiful cousin from San Fransisco, who rode 30 hours on a train to get here.

Everything turned out beautifully: the wedding cake was immaculate, the marriage was beautiful and genuine, the guests were interesting, the bar was open, and the Indian culture transformed the wedding into an event full of bright colours, eccentric dance moves, old rituals and exotic tastes.

And even though I shrugged away when the bouquet was tossed, I was amazed by the power of true love and the unity it can create.

There's hope for me yet.

ready for the party
the bride to be
preparing the ritual
setting up
cleansing the groom
the candle dance
cousins henna
making the cake
the masterpiece
spectators
all in the family
a dangerous pair
amour
the right moves
stop looking at me

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh la jolie jeune fille !
Oui, c'est sûr, il n'y a plus d'espoir.. :)

Florent.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indian weddings are amazing. I am glad you were able to experience one firsthand! But, I have to say - you are much too young to bea *bitter young sinlge woman*! You have many good years ahead of you - you are at university.... why on earth would you want to be paired of in a marriage now!?!?!? Enjoy!!!

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful day. I love the Indian outfits. The marriage rituals seem quite interesting. Please tell your Mother that the cake is so beautiful and absolutely PERFECT! Best wishes to to your cousin and her new hubby.

You and marriage? When it is time, it will happen and it will be a perfect time.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Oh trust me, I'm in no hurry.

When I say bitter young single woman, I mean a young woman who's seen too many failed relationships, and isn't eager to start one herself. Marriage is something I've never dreamed of, and I can be bitter towards the act in general, unless the couple is as right for each other as these two were.

There is time, yes, and hopefully it will be a perfect time.

10:49 AM  
Blogger thestraightpoop said...

What a lovely occasion! I have been to one Indian wedding and learned better dance moves from the grandmothers than I have ever seen in any club!

Thank you so much for coming to my sale yesterday. It was great to meet you, and I wish you the best of luck in school.

Tamara

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, the wedding festivities look wonderful. Sarah makes a beautiful bride, and Zillah looks so sweet in her churidar and kameez. In fact all the women look lovely.
Yvonne did a fabulous job on the wedding cake!
Thank you for posting such great photos. I enjoy your blog so much—both words and pictures.
Love, Carol (the auntie of your beautiful SF cousin)

10:58 AM  
Blogger R said...

It is great to see two different cultures getting together.
Have you seen the film Monsoon Wedding?
It's one of my favorites...it gives such beautiful insight into the dynamics of a modern Indian family, amidst the going ons of an extravagant traditional Indian 4 day wedding. If you have not seen it I think that you would enjoy it.

As for your thoughts on marriage I agree completely, and that is another reason why reading your blog is so refreshing.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! I was worried about you! But what worries me more is that you have seen so many failed relationships amongst those you know....I agree with your views on marriage... I hope for the same perfect time with the perfect guy.

p.s. love the cake. Gorgeous! And, your dress, too!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous. And I love the groom's socks!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home