My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 04, 2006

facing that funky music

If I'm as afraid of commitment as I thought I was, then I guess I'm facing my fears.

Today I walked nervously into a beautifully furnished restaurant with a seductive Italian menu, and sat down with the manager. He looked over my resume, exchanged words with me, and told me I was hired as a hostess. If I show I'm capable, I can later be trained as a waitress.

Not only have I signed a year-long lease, I have a three year commitment to my cell phone, a landline, cable, internet, bills to pay, three years of school left, and now, thank god, a job.

I've always worked in retail, and thought I found my calling, but these days it's food that calls my name, not fashion.

And so I'll dress pretty, smile and seat customers, and take notes from what goes on in the big open kitchen, centered in the restaurant.

What's the secret to a perfect steak with a green peppercorn demi-glaze? I hope to soon find out.

My roomate and I celebrated with dinner in Chinatown and drinks in the theatre district.

She is working as a hostess at another restaurant, and, as of tomorrow, we will have no free time. When we're not scribbling in our notebooks, we'll be flashing our teeth and greeting the hungry.

Let the games begin.

emo glamour
i was ready to pay
noodle restaurant in chinatown
why not?
god's in charge

God I love this city.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new gig!
As we say in Texas "don't hurt 'um" Gill!!! You know that you can flash a smile that will make the strongest man's knees go weak. It sounds like you are in a good position to learn a lot about the ins and outs of operating a restuarant or becoming a sous chef.(if that is your interest now)

Best wishes!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'est parti pour une nouvelle vie !

Ici à Paris, tout va très bien.

A bientôt,

Florent.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Sky said...

good for you! congrats on the new job. so good to see you happy!

5:09 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

bravo!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Merci!!!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home