My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 08, 2006

where would you like to sit?

I'm sweating.

I don't normally sweat, but the combination of nerves and running to work in an unpractical-although proffesional-pencil skirt and heels has me immitating the Niagra Falls.

Within moments I'm told a million important things to remember. I'm shown my hostess desk, the phone I'll answer for two restaurants, the seating, the kitchens and the bathrooms.

The first time I answer the phone I press a button and fail to answer the call. Shit, shit, shit.

The next time I smile through the phone, "Gillian speaking, how may I help you?"

I get the hang of things, although the rushed atmosphere all around still has me sweating. Did I mention I rarely sweat? I'm either nervous or I've hit menopause early.

Luckily I still prove myself to be competent. Yes, I did give the dessert menu to a table still on their appetizers, but I charmed the hell out of some other customers.

I like the rush. Time goes by quickly with the busy pace and I have fun trying to keep up. I like the smell of food in the air, the sight of plentiful plates sweeping past me, and the setting of the tables. I like that I have my own desk, my own candle, and a job that allows me to talk to everyone.

It's a year of new beginnings and commitments. Breaking into the restaurant industry has been on my to-do list for a while, and I'm happy to start anywhere.

Now if I can manage to balance school, work, money, play, and hopefully some sort of twisted love life, I'll take myself out to dinner.

4 Comments:

Blogger daringtowrite said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start. I think this restaurant is lucky to have you.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are still blogging. You will be brilliant at that job, and I'm sure the other aspects of life will fall into place. The heels must be a killer, though.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to be off on a great start of another incredible year. I'm looking forward to hear more of your adventures. I am glad you have kept on blogging and certainly hope to keep your feed on my daily reading list.

Good luck in what seems to be another exciting city!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thanks guys, my nerves are going crazy these days, but all in all it's all going well!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home