My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

growing wings

I decided I had to turn 20 in style.

And so the party was planned: everyone had to wear black, show up at 8, bring vodka and look sexy.

After some music and enjoying some of my cooking we would then move on to a sweet little lounge called bird.

I made invitations, forgot to give out most of them, and made some last minute phone calls to invite people. But they showed, armed with vodka, and dressed like the sexiest funeral goers you've ever seen.

My brother even flew in from Vancouver, and met me with a smile before the party in his leather jacket, the best birthday gift I could have dreamt of.

It started slowly, with the brie baking in the oven, I started mixing cocktails, and eventually the room filled itself. Beautiful faces all around, my cousins grinning in high heels, people getting to know each other on the sofas, spoons digging into my pesto spinach couscous and giant salad.

I darted back and forth, accepted personal gifts, and felt nothing but content. I only stopped when my roomate lit a big piece of baklavah, my favourite dessert, and the room sang to me while I blushed red balloons.

It was a good assortment of people. Family, old friends, new friends, school friends, and budding friendships.

I accepted a small silver flask from a young woman I met in Paris, and felt happy about where my life is taking me.

When we went to bird, a lounge that whispered to me everytime I passed, the waiter brought a tray of small citrus cocktails, a gift because it was my birthday.

It was intimate, stylish and comfortable. A chandelier dropped from the ceiling of lightbulbs with wings attached to them. They fell like angels, their presence strong in the simple space.

I like making things happen. The night happened, as I dreamed, and lit my life up again.

If lights can have wings, there's hope for me yet.

My whole life I've felt like I was free falling, but I'm learning to fly.

I love my brother

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the most beautiful picture I've seen of you yet, probably because that all knowing smirk isn't there!

8:19 PM  
Blogger la femme said...

Beautiful photo. Truly beautiful.

I've heard a lot about bird... must get there one of these days.

On a more shallow note: pesto spinach couscous?! - my favourite ingredients combined - yum.

11:03 PM  
Blogger miss tango said...

From reading your blog for the last few months, you don´t need to learn how to fly...you already are!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww! i love you guys!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I cannot believe you are only 20 years old. Wise beyond your years.... :)

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I concur: you are full of beauty, poetry and maturity at such a young age... A very happy "belated" birthday to you, and keep at it... You are pursuing your dreams and you will make them a reality.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Oh such beautiful comments.

All knowing smirk....I'm grinning because it's true.

And oh yes, pesto spinach couscous, with lemon and chickpeas, pure bliss. I believe I had some for dinner, midnight snack and breakfast.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home