My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 11, 2007

a life sweeter than sushi rice

homemade bento box

One day I came up with the brilliant idea of becoming a sushi chef.

It made perfect sense. I have always wanted to cook professionally, but I dislike the heavy heat and stress in regular kitchens. I enjoy making food that is delicate and beautifully presented. My favorite food is fish, I prefer rice over pasta, and I grew up with a passion for eating seaweed (my dad is from New Brunswick). To sum it up, sushi is my perfect food.

As I started to plan my bright future I was struck by another thought. I am white. I am blonde. I am female. I have never seen anyone with this profile behind a sushi counter. I’m against discrimination in any form, but even I would think twice about going to a sushi restaurant with a Canadian/Irish sushi chef.

But not all hope is lost. There are sushi academies in California that will teach anyone with the drive to learn. Not only that, but modern sushi restaurants are popping up everywhere, and who says a sassy young blonde can’t swing a knife at a giant sized piece of raw tuna?

At present, training as a sushi chef is in my pocket of dreams. It sits right next to my dreams of finishing my guide book in Paris, traveling through India and starting my own catering company. I live for my dreams. They’re what put that crazy look in my eyes and stop me from dragging my feet through each day.

And so while I dreamily strut through my last years of university, I’m going to keep rolling sushi in my kitchen, reading books on French culture in bed, wearing Indian bangles on my wrist and catering for crazy Russian parties.

Life isn't easy, but with the right ingredients and preparation, it can be delicious.

sushi at home
glowing

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both versions were good, but to be honest, the first one was more "you". This one seem slightly fluffy. But, at the same time, the positive undertones in your last few posts are really wonderful!

I really admire you, for someone so young to be so wise and so independant. I was so curious when you mentioned a boyfriend how it affects your free spirit? Do you feel different? Right now I'm struggling with the idea of being a solid, single, independent person while having a relationship. I guess I'm curious to if you are able to stay true to yourself while sharing a part of you?

11:14 PM  
Blogger nimi said...

Hi there, I don't quite know how I stumbled upon your blog but I can tell you that thanks to you, I have a pocketful of the most beautiful memories thanks in great part to you. My guy and I took a jaunt to Paris to celebrate a decade together. The trip was only two weeks long but so incredibly memorable thanks to your tips. I printed off "A Young Woman's Guide to Paris" and away we went. We had some fun nights drinking Kir and sipping wine at vielle du temple. We ate sushi at Matsuya. Chatted away in Punjabi with restaurant owners at the Brady Passage and experienced Paris in a way we never would have if it wasn't for your helpful tips.
You have so much beauty in you-inside and out. The world is yours and just know that there is stranger in Vancouver rooting for you. I wish you great success and so much joy. Blessed be.
Nimi

11:22 PM  
Blogger writersblock said...

haha i love how you are such an internet celebrity!! well deserved though! and I am sorry I flaked out on the picnic, but it looked amazing!

6:12 AM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

(Wow, that comment above is so lovely -- doesn't that make you feel great, Gillian?)

And I, too, continue to admire all your talent from afar. You are going to accomplish such great things; what am I talking about? You already ARE accomplishing great things!

By the way, your sushi looks AMAZING! Would love to dip into some of that... You're giving me sushi cravings!

6:58 AM  
Blogger la femme said...

Brilliant plan. Beautiful sushi.

9:22 AM  
Blogger travel notes said...

Your sushi looks great. My favourite combination is salmon ginger and wasabi.

I'm intrigued and excited about this Paris guidebook! I too am drafting a book; it is a project which has been on the go for almost a year now. I'd love to hear more about yours.

Catharine x

9:32 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

yes, come to california and learn to how to be a sushi chef!!!

follow all of your dreams.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

anonymous- Thank you. And yes, it's hard to stay independant while being in a relationship. But I find as long as I'm honest in who I am and save enough time for myself then I can stay very true to myself. If anything I have more support in being who I am.

moonlight mini- Thank you so much! I'm so happy that you were able to benefit from this, and impressed by how much use you got from my short guide!

andrea- I'm sure another picnic will come around...

The Late Bloomer- You should try making some!

Eurobrat- Merci

L'embrouillamini- Oo yes, I love packing the ginger in there! It will be a guide book specifically for young women in Paris, tres chic, bien sur.

Victoria- It could happen, thank you!

10:47 PM  
Blogger takinchances said...

I just wanted to pop in and tell you that I admire your vigor and creativity. You are inspirational in reaching for my own dreams.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home