My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

a meeting with my mistress

While I could never work in an office building, my roommate does so with style.

Every morning she wakes up early, straps on her heels and her sophisticated smile, and rushes out the door.

She returns around 5 in the evening, as I’m running out the door in black pants and a blouse, apron and corkscrew in my bag, so that I can go bartend all night.

Our schedules cut down on our time together, something we both savor. So today I packed up a lunch, got on the subway, and made my way out of our neighborhood to the corporate world downtown.

Usually I spend my days in the park or at the beach, so being in the heat of the city, surrounded by suits and fast walking smokers felt unusual.

I felt out of place with my relaxed strut, flip flops and short skirt. I sat on the steps of my friend’s building listening to Pink Floyd, and watched the hustle and flow of people.

Eventually my friend joined me, and we feasted on fresh salads, tortilla chips and fruit on a private patio area. I marveled at the height of the buildings, danced around barefoot, and felt invigorated by the beauty of the day and my good company.

It was a nice break in routine for the both of us.

In the elevators I jokingly grabbed her bottom, because everyone looked so serious, only to find her boss was inches away.

I then left my lovely, flushed roomate at work, and dragged my dirty feet through the city and made my way home.

rise of power
the loveliest secretary
dessert
red as your cheeks
caught in your eyes
sidewalk stalker
office girl
where do i belong?
city girl
face on streetcar

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pics, as always. I especially like the mask one!

You're right, it is probably fun to hang out in the corporate world for a day (or even a few). But take it from someone who will probably be there for the majority of his life.. you're better off elsewhere ;-)

-- disclaimer: I like my life, I get other distractions :) --

2:26 PM  
Blogger GoodNews said...

Love the raspberry picture.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The writings of you and your roommate will give great insights to future employers who might google your names to study employee attitudes to the workplace when hiring.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Parisian Cowboy said...

Love that last shot.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, those raspberries were phenominal. Awesome photos! I'm from Los Angeles and can't believe how great your city looks (or... you MAKE it look).

Thanks for sharing.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home