My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 23, 2007

summer spring rolls

While fried spring rolls are great after a night out of debauchery, there not something I crave on a beautiful day.

Summer spring rolls on the other hand, delicate and fresh, make the perfect summer lunch.

I bought some of the rice paper in Korea town a couple of weeks ago and have been dying to use them ever since. My only problem was I didn't know what to stuff them with. Glass noodles? Shrimp? Mango salad?

Walking home from the yoga studio I decided to stop in the grocery store and pick up some sprouts for my rolls. Instead, a big 99 cent bag of coleslaw called out my name.

I thought about buying some shrimp, but I've eaten enough seafood to build an aquarium in my stomach in the past few days.

Back at home I mixed the coleslaw with parsley, green onions, chili flakes, rice vinegar, ginger powder and salt.

Next I prepared the the rice paper. The paper is unbelievably easy to prepare, and only needs to be soaked with a towel for a minute before it is pliable and ready to use.

With the paper ready, I filled each one with a mixture of the coleslaw salad, and rolled them up tightly.

I had no sauce for the rolls, so I mixed up a thick miso dipping sauce out of miso pase, rice vinegar, oil and red wine vinegar, and lunch was ready.

The result was satisfying, nourishing and as delicious as a beautiful summer day

summer spring rolls.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rosanna said...

Gosh they look beautiful. Time for me to have some lunch, I think.

8:56 PM  
Blogger writersblock said...

!!!salad rolls!! i love these summer spring rolls, as you call them, i have many memories of making dozens and dozens of them with my mom, and eating them all day long. your combo sounds delish, may i also suggest:vermicelli noodles, avocado, cilantro, grated carrot, cucumber and mint?(not necessarily all together, but maybe?) they go great with peanut sauce-can be made w/ hoisin and peanut butter (and some other things i cant remember), or a vinegar sauce made with lemon juice, white vinegar, fish sauce, soy, sugar salt and garlic! keep up the great stomach-growl-inducing posts gill!(can you tell im hungry and oh so enthusiastic)

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gill,

After reading your post yesterday afternoon, I just went for spring rolls as I left the office. The whole family was happy, and I was told: What a great idea you had!
thanks ;-)
Mirella

2:31 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thanks guys!

Andrea- Thanks for the tips! I really had no idea how to stuff them traditionally so I went with what I had! Definitely want to throw in some mint! These would make a good school lunch too hey?

Mirella- Glad your family enjoyed them!

5:40 AM  
Blogger YY said...

Gill, I love when you write about food. I love better when you put your talents to work in the kitchen. I love best when we are together and I can taste your creations. In less than two weeks you will be here.

11:34 PM  
Blogger la femme said...

Salad rolls are one of my favourite summer foods too. Especially when they include mango and mint. And shrimp when your stomach isn't in an aquarium state :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger nimi said...

So glad I checked in today. I'm always looking for gluten free alternatives for my daughter and these would be perfect. I haven't had these in so long that I completely forgot about them. I'm going to give them a go. Thanks!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Ayah said...

as at the store today, and inspired by your post, bought: wrappers, vermicelli noodles, mints, avocado, red bell peppers, cucumber, and peanut sauce! my launch tomorrow is going to be so good. thanks for being such a foodie!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home