My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 23, 2007

summer spring rolls

While fried spring rolls are great after a night out of debauchery, there not something I crave on a beautiful day.

Summer spring rolls on the other hand, delicate and fresh, make the perfect summer lunch.

I bought some of the rice paper in Korea town a couple of weeks ago and have been dying to use them ever since. My only problem was I didn't know what to stuff them with. Glass noodles? Shrimp? Mango salad?

Walking home from the yoga studio I decided to stop in the grocery store and pick up some sprouts for my rolls. Instead, a big 99 cent bag of coleslaw called out my name.

I thought about buying some shrimp, but I've eaten enough seafood to build an aquarium in my stomach in the past few days.

Back at home I mixed the coleslaw with parsley, green onions, chili flakes, rice vinegar, ginger powder and salt.

Next I prepared the the rice paper. The paper is unbelievably easy to prepare, and only needs to be soaked with a towel for a minute before it is pliable and ready to use.

With the paper ready, I filled each one with a mixture of the coleslaw salad, and rolled them up tightly.

I had no sauce for the rolls, so I mixed up a thick miso dipping sauce out of miso pase, rice vinegar, oil and red wine vinegar, and lunch was ready.

The result was satisfying, nourishing and as delicious as a beautiful summer day

summer spring rolls.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rosanna said...

Gosh they look beautiful. Time for me to have some lunch, I think.

8:56 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

!!!salad rolls!! i love these summer spring rolls, as you call them, i have many memories of making dozens and dozens of them with my mom, and eating them all day long. your combo sounds delish, may i also suggest:vermicelli noodles, avocado, cilantro, grated carrot, cucumber and mint?(not necessarily all together, but maybe?) they go great with peanut sauce-can be made w/ hoisin and peanut butter (and some other things i cant remember), or a vinegar sauce made with lemon juice, white vinegar, fish sauce, soy, sugar salt and garlic! keep up the great stomach-growl-inducing posts gill!(can you tell im hungry and oh so enthusiastic)

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gill,

After reading your post yesterday afternoon, I just went for spring rolls as I left the office. The whole family was happy, and I was told: What a great idea you had!
thanks ;-)
Mirella

2:31 AM  
Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thanks guys!

Andrea- Thanks for the tips! I really had no idea how to stuff them traditionally so I went with what I had! Definitely want to throw in some mint! These would make a good school lunch too hey?

Mirella- Glad your family enjoyed them!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Gill, I love when you write about food. I love better when you put your talents to work in the kitchen. I love best when we are together and I can taste your creations. In less than two weeks you will be here.

11:34 PM  
Blogger eurobrat said...

Salad rolls are one of my favourite summer foods too. Especially when they include mango and mint. And shrimp when your stomach isn't in an aquarium state :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger moonlight nimi said...

So glad I checked in today. I'm always looking for gluten free alternatives for my daughter and these would be perfect. I haven't had these in so long that I completely forgot about them. I'm going to give them a go. Thanks!

11:01 PM  
Blogger ayahthetiger said...

as at the store today, and inspired by your post, bought: wrappers, vermicelli noodles, mints, avocado, red bell peppers, cucumber, and peanut sauce! my launch tomorrow is going to be so good. thanks for being such a foodie!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home