My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

some love just might last forever

I forgot how good it feels to walk on the cold Mexican tiles of my kitchen floor and make an espresso in the morning.

I forgot how much I love the feel of sun on the balcony, so much that I used to lie down on it in my bathrobe just to feel the hear permeate into my body.

I never forgot how soothing the mountains and the ocean are to look at under a summer sun, a reminder that there is beauty in the world.

Leaving Vancouver was easy. My love for it comes in the summer with the sun, and leaves in winter with the first heavy rainfall.

But it's summer, and my love for the city of glass, surrounded by picturesque nature everywhere, stole my heart when I came home.

Falling into the comfort of my bed, of my parents' company, of the waves of the ocean and the easy pace of a West Coast summer paradise, it was hard to get up and leave after five days.

Then again, if I had stayed any longer I may have started to take it all for granted.

And no moment was taken for granted. Feasts and good conversations were a nightly ritual. One night my whole family, and my love who flew down from Toronto, clinked glasses to the 60 years my grandparents have been together.

My grandparents may have a permanent grip on each others throats, but something has held them together for 60 entire years. No matter what they say, I can tell love is still somewhere in the air. It is stronger than them, and reveals itself in the way they look out for each other.

And as I flew back up in the air, on my way back to Toronto, I felt love for a city I left a long time ago.

Love doesn't always have to be constant, big or bold, it can come back in the small moments, as a reminder, that there's still some room for you to feel something stronger than yourself.

west vancouver
evening sun
alone in the world
childhood
father and daughter
celtic band
mother&daughter
Richard Kidd
girls at Chambar

2 Comments:

Blogger la femme said...

I love Vancouver in the rain.

Those photos are beautiful. Looks like a wonderful time...

1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Pacific Northwest is just so fantastic. One of the great things is that so few people really know how wonderful it is... it's like enjoying a great secret.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home