My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

these arms of mine

The airplane starts to rattle back and forth.

A frightened pilot trips makes an announcement: we're going down. People are screaming, babies are crying, and the air breathes chaos.

I try and imagine my final moments. Would I be screaming? Silent and stunned? Would I find sudden clarity right before my death?

In reality, the flight was as smooth as whipped butter, and I arrived in Vancouver to the open arms of my mother.

For months, weeks, days I have been craving those arms. I haven't seen her since Christmas, and she is my confidante, my inspiration and my greatest companion.

I have left the city of the CN tower and my life at the busy restaurant to spend a week with family in Vancouver. We are celebrating my grandparents 60th anniversary, and in a couple of nights will feast, drink, and dance to Irish music in their name.

In the meantime, I'm re-grounding myself in the city of my birth, in the house I grew up in, and with the family I adore.

I feel blessed. With the sun shining, this is one of the most ideal settings in the world. The mountains hover over me while the ocean beckons me to its side.

Last night we made burgers, while I whipped up some cocktails, then ate, talked and laughed with my family on the deck outside as the sun set.

My lips are smiling, my body is relaxed, and these arms of mine want to embrace everything around me.

home

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give her an extra hug from me.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Parisian Cowboy said...

nice post

9:02 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I have suspicions that on every plane ride, the person on either side of you is envisioning that exact same scenerio--even the business woman who flies 4 times a week.

8:51 AM  
Blogger writersblock said...

I really liked this post, Gillian. I've always liked how you start with a theme, or motif or something and use that theme to nicely wrap up the post in the end. your crawl out of writers block is anything but pathetic! ps you and vancouver look beautiful in that picture, as always. and i was just listening to that song this morning thanks to you!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home