My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

viva las vegas and a happy new year

Somehow I found clarity in Vegas.

Among the ringing slot machines, waitresses in short skirts, high rollers at the roulette tables and women in silk shirts and spandex, I found moments to reflect over the year.

My stay in Vancouver and the rush of seeing so many people at once had my head spinning. I lost myself for a moment in all of the Christmas parties and celebrations.

But as I kicked back vodka sodas, kept most of my money in pocket, and took in the sights and sounds of Vegas, I came back to myself.

On New Year's day we took a helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon, where we stopped for champagne and breakfast, took in the silence and beauty of the scene, and flew back over the Las Vegas strip. I was filled with a sense of freedom and gratitude that life can offer such a moment. It was a perfect way to start the year.

It's been another year of new discoveries and experience. Another year to grow as a person, to run, walk, crawl, scream, laugh, cry and take life for what it is.

This year I started my first real relationship. It's been 8 or 9 months now and I still have no urge to run in the other direction. Our relationship is strong, healthy, and honest, and I can't wait to be back in his arms when I get back to Toronto.

This year I learnt to be a bartender, felt my arms grow strong, mastered the beer keg, mimosas and martinis, and then officially quit my job for the first time because I knew it wasn't for me.

This year I went back to France, ate cheese and bread like a queen, slept in a car on the side of the road coming back from the Mediterranean, and realized I'm no longer in love with my French ex-boyfriend.

This year I drove to Vermont with my mother, saw my cousin married at a horse ranch, and danced the night away with my family.

This year I learnt to produce, edit, report and host radio shows, and became the class's first official food reporter.

This year I studied music, geography of food, pop literature of sensation, and managed to get through them all alive.

This year I started a new job at a high end clothing store and managed to be the top salesperson on several accounts by being honest and being myself.

This year I managed to balance my relationship, job and school, while not going completely insane.

This year I went to Vegas, kept most of my money, woke up each morning without a hangover, and brought in the new year with my beloved brother.

I plan on coming out every year a little stronger, a little wiser, and a little more comfortable in my skin. With this in mind, I think 2008 year has a lot waiting for me.

grand canyon
gill and bren
ready for take off
pilot gill
b boy
welcome 2008

6 Comments:

Blogger Sky said...

sounds like a full year, a good one, indeed.

happy new year, gillian. hope 2008 holds even more. :)

12:41 AM  
Blogger Jessica Ferri said...

there's nothing better than realizing you're finally over someone--it's such a sense of freedom, and it really reinforces just how strong of a muscle the human heart can be.

happy new year!

6:25 AM  
Blogger laceybediz said...

Happy New Year!!! Champagne whilst sitting atop of an enormous gorge---c'est magnifique!

I like to think that each year we do become a bit more enlightened-- and you seem, through your writing, to find a sense of peace-- congrats on such a great year and all the best for the next!

xx

8:05 AM  
Blogger Jennifer J said...

Those Helicopter photos are awesome, it's totally like you and Brendan were being photographed for a Vogue magazine spread.

Happy new year, glad you had a great vacation!
Jenn in NJ

7:15 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

Sounds like both an incredibly amazing trip (a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon!) and an incredibly amazing year, full of so many great accomplishments. You should be so proud of yourself and all that you have done. Bonne continuation !

6:21 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Wonderful.

And what's even better is that it's always onwards and upwards.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home