My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

lazy morning granola

With two essays behind me, I am taking a deep breath before diving into the rest of my workload.

I spent the morning nibbling away at chai biscotti at my boyfriend's, head deep in a novel while his dog crawled all over me, licking up the crumbs.

He drove me home, the sun shining, people walking along the lakeshore, biking across the long white bridge that runs along the water. It's turning into winter, but the colours of fall are still everywhere, bright leaves scattered on the ground.

Back at home I took a long shower, did some interviews for a story while in my bathrobe and made some granola.

My recent shock at discovering that instant oatmeal holds none of the nutrients of slow cooked oatmeal has led me to go the old fashioned route, stirring my oatmeal for half an hour over the stove until it forms a thick, tasty paste.

Wanting something cruchier, I seasoned my oatmeal and threw it in the oven for 45 minutes and came up with the perfect lazy morning snack.

It was delicious, giving me just enough energy to get to school in time for my afternoon class.

home made granola

Lazy Morning Granola

1-2 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cinamon
1 tsp flax seeds (other seeds and nuts optional)
2-3 tbsp agave nectar (you can also use honey or sugar)

1. Prehead oven to 250 degrees
2. Mix ingredients in saucepan under low heat
3. When oats are coated, scatter them out on a cookie sheet
4. Bake for 45 minutes
5. Allow to cool
6. Enjoy with soy milk, milk or plain yoghurt (Drizzle with more honey if you prefer it sweeter!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I'm so pleased to see that you've found the joys of ajave.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Nico said...

Even better, try with some creamy greek yoghurt and mix with bananas.

That's almost my daily breakfast :)

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just found your blog and i love it! =)
mimi

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home