My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

tag, i'm it

Thetiniest spark tagged me on this short, delicious food questionnaire.

Asking me to talk about food is like asking Gordon Ramsey to swear, or Anthony Bourdain to trash talk vegans. I'm more than pleased to do so.

So here are my answers, bonne appetit, and feel free to post your own in the comments section.


1. One thing I don't like: Potatoes. Did I mention I'm Irish? My relatives are practically ready to disown me on this one. But in general, I just don't like the texture of potatoes and they don't excite me as a food. It took Europe 210 years to appreciate potatoes after they arrived from South America, so maybe I'm not crazy on this one. I've had some good roasted potatoes and fries in my time, but at the end of the day, it's not a food I really love.

2. 3 of my favorite foods:
- Korean Bibimbap with fried tofu, rice, vegetables and spicy red pepper sauce
- Tuna shooters (Delicious nigri sushi topped with a special sauce and scallions from Honjin in Vancouver)
- Grilled salmon


3. My favorite recipe: A couscous recipe with mint, basil, cumin, rasins ans vegetables that I've perfected over the years. Only tastes better the next day.

4. My drink: Lychee martini made purely with lychee liqueur and vodka. I skip the juice because I like my martinis lethally strong.

5. The dish I wish I could cook: My mother's creme carmel. She says it's easy but it always looks severely complicated when she makes it. And she makes it perfectly, every time.

6. My best food memory: After a year of living in Northern Ireland and hating the food, I came to France for the summer. Suddenly my days were filled with delicious stinky cheeses and food that made me groan. One night my mother and I, both insomniacs, couldn't sleep and woke the same time in the middle of the night. We cracked open some pots of creme brulee from the grocery store, covered them in cane sugar and popped them under the broiler. It was the most heavenly midnight snack I've ever had. It was one of those great unexpected moments I could only share with my mother.

I tag Lacey, Eurobrat, and my mother on this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger la femme said...

Hey, thanks for tagging me. I've been away and just realized.

Funnily enough, I dislike potatoes too, and creme caramel is my favourite dessert (I wish it was served as often as creme brulee).

11:08 AM  
Blogger thetiniestspark said...

yay!! thanks for playing along. i, too, have no love for potatoes. it's not that i actively dislike them, they're just nothing special. unless they're greek fries, smothered in vinegar & spices, or patates braves, smothered in mayo & paprika, then i have no use for them. : )

loved your favorite food memory -- i have so many with my mother, too. on my way to make some more of those with her in greece in just a couple of weeks...

x

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home