My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 24, 2008

irish stew and whiskey

happy easter!

I took the train to Port Hope last night at sunset. I arrived to a night sky and my brother waiting for me at the station.

We drove my grandfather's, who had a meat pie and his famous Irish stew in the oven. We topped it off with mushy peas, and I felt like a true Irish woman.

It was a perfect meal, not because of the food, but because I had my grandfather beside me and my brother across from me. And because my grandfather went out of his way to put a dinner together for us, sticking to what he knows best.

Later in the evening, I cozied up with my computer in his den to work on some essays for school. He came in, poured two whiskeys and passed me one.

"I never thought I'd be drinking whiskey with my granddaughter," he said.

"Oh, but you never knew you'd have a granddaughter as sturdy as me," I told him, grinning.

Hope you're all enjoying easter, whether it's with ham and potatoes, Irish stew and whiskey, some good quality chocolate or simply with someone you care about.

My grandfather is currently in the room next to me, singing and dancing to old classics for his morning exercise: "All of my love, all of my love for you, all of my love is true..."

4 Comments:

Blogger Percy Chatsworth said...

My grandfather is currently in the room next to me, singing and dancing to old classics for his morning exercise: "All of my love, all of my love for you, all of my love is true..."

This and the Whisky bit are unbelievalby adorable.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a comment about the specific post but a comment about your style of writing. I love it. It's so simple, so succint. Your writing of whatever expereince at the moment always gives me a clear picture. Nice work and thanks for sharing. Opal

4:03 AM  
Blogger thetiniestspark said...

yay, more grandpa. : )

5:01 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

Ditto on Opal's comment -- I love your style of writing too, and only wish I could be so succinct and accomplished with words! Bravo, as always, Gillian.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home