My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

to paris and rome

It almost feels like Europe.

As the summer sun sets over the city, I take the dog for a walk down a busy street. Cars drive by with Portuguese flags, honking and screaming. Portugal must be winning some soccer games, and I haven't seen this kind of hype over soccer since I was living in Paris.

Lately I seem to be discovering more and more just how Portuguese my new little neighborhood is. From the BBQ chicken restaurants with no menus and long line ups, to the sweet bakeries and scummy bars, this area is packed with Portuguese flair.

This evening I decide to venture out of my neighborhood. It's hot, it's Saturday night, and to be honest, I'm a little lonely. My life has been so crammed with work, from the store, to the catering events to the new business, that when I have free time I don't know who to call. "Remember me? I know I always refuse to go out...but now I want to!"

And so I wander. Happily. At the end of the day, I really do love my alone time. And on a night like tonight, there's nothing better than a long walk and a good daydream.

I walk with the dog all the way to Little Italy, passing bustling restaurants, packed patios and gorgeous Gelato shops. I admire beautiful couples sipping wine, deeply inhale the scent of freshly baked pizzas, and dodge people on the sidewalk with my little pup.

I feel like I could be in Europe. I wish I was in Europe. Lately my heart aches for foreign cities, new flavors and faces. I miss my mother. I miss train rides. I am so happy here, but I am also so consumed with staying busy and making money that I miss the feeling of truly living.

But tonight, I am alive. And as I travel through the city on a beautiful summer evening, I feel like myself again.

walking afro

4 Comments:

Blogger laceybediz said...

Sounds like a beautiful city!! Your post reminds me of your Paris posts-- walking in solitude and soaking up the foreign vibes.

And Portuguese influence? How cool-- Portugal has to be one of my favorite Euro countries.

Great post!!

xx
lace

1:18 PM  
Blogger YY said...

Gill,

what a lovely blog. I can just imagine you and Afro walking the city blocks - such a long way to little Italy! And I miss you too. I booked my ticket to Europe. What am I going to do without you?

4:45 PM  
Blogger la femme said...

We must live quite close! I'm at Delaware and Bloor these days. Earlier this week, I was sitting at a patio and enjoying all the honking and Portuguese flaggage over a custard tart. Absolute summer perfection.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just thinking of Italy today when I heard this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzUfmh3G9AE

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home