My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 02, 2009

the boy with the bright blue eyes

When I was away in France I had a dream about my brother.

In my dream he was beaming, happy, and seemed young and alive in every way possible. My brother is a bright, creative, artistic, wonderful and loving man, and sometimes he seems let down by the world. He lives with his eyes and heart wide open, which can be hard on a day to day basis.

And when my brother is happy, he radiates. You want to be around him because his energy is so good it rubs off on everyone. My best memories of my brother involve cooking in the kitchen with lots of wine and garlic, flying down the streets in his beat up car in high school, music blaring, daring him to do or eat anything and watching in horror as he ensued.

While in France he sent three small gifts (we had agreed on none) to my mother, father and I. While I was diligent on the no gift rule, the gifts were so thoughtful, so perfect, that I had to love him more for it.

When I got back from France I spoke to my brother on the phone and he told me he had proposed to his long time girlfriend. His voice radiated.

I went down shortly to visit him in Port Hope, where my grandparents live as well, to mourn the loss of his girlfriend's father and congratulate them on the engagement.

When we walked into the funeral home where the wake was being held, my brother sat alone, in a sharp suit, his bright blue eyes looking around the room kindly, and he was radiating.

Later that night I came over with a bottle of wine and old photographs, drank too much, ate peanut butter out of the jar, and remembered how great it is to sit so closely with someone you know and love to that extent. When I told him about my dream, and how it seemed to be real, he agreed. He was happy, is happy, and deserves to be. He is doing amazing creative work daily, taking design courses, and marrying a woman he loves.

Today is his birthday and I want my brother to know that he radiates. That I love him. That he will always be an amazing brother, musician, artist, designer, magician and man to me.

He'll probably make fun of me for getting so cheesy on this one, but my words are honest.

I love you Mike, celebrate today and every one that follows.

awkward brother and sister

2 Comments:

Blogger Meg Wolff said...

A very nice tribute to your brother. I enjoyed reading it!

8:26 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

Lovely Gill. Wonderful that you have such a brother and that he has you, your love and appreciation.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home