My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

dwell in possibility

Every time I dig myself into a hole because I don't know what I'm meant to do with my life, I open my journal and find this quote:


"Be patient towards all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves liked locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

- Ranier Maria Rilke, Letters To A Young Poet

bus to work

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot explain to you how perfectly appropriate that quote is. I have found myself in what seems to be a "quarter life crisis" - university is over, friends have moved on, my career is starting, and I find myself wondering if this is it - if this is what I am meant to be doing for the rest of my life. Thank you so much for posting this beautiful poem, I am going to add it to my own journal :)

~ Kelsey in Guelph

7:06 AM  
Blogger MiMi said...

I love the quote.. I hate the feeling that you dont know what you are meant to do.. I have felt that way many times before.. Here is something that i read and remember when I feel that way.. ;)
Be Thankful
Be thankful that you dont already have everything you desire,
if you did what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you dont know something
For it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations
because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful when you're tired and weary
because it means you have made a difference.

Hope you are feeling better! ;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger kdada said...

Thank you thank you. This quote, your intro, sums up the last 6 months of my life. The point is to live it all. Lovely. Awakening. Perfect--thank you again.

8:22 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

As always, just wonderful, Gillian. A thought-provoking and memorable quote, something to pull out from time to time and think on. I just want to say thanks too!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to remember those words now, more than ever.

3:40 PM  
Blogger thetiniestspark said...

right with you on the necessity of reading that quote. i'm finishing up my master's and now it's seriously time to decide what the eff to do next. or....maybe it's not. i'm learning, for the first time, to accept the little joys of a future filled with only endless possibility. both terribly frightening and delightfully liberating.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl! u r amazing!
ROMNIE

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home