My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

big fish, small fish, cardboard box

One of the best dance moves I learnt in Northern Ireland was "Big fish, small fish, cardboard box."

Basically you stretch your arms to the shape of a big fish, then a small fish, then move your hands into the shape of a cardboard box. Throw in some quick moves and techno music and you've got it going.

Yesterday my boyfriend called me from work with a recipe that made him think of me. It was a John Bishop's recipe for Ahi tuna and kale with a grainy mustard white wine sauce. Kale, tuna, grainy mustard and wine are very high up on my favourite things. Especially kale.

delicious kale

I picked up a beautiful piece of tuna and the fresh produce from Granville Island market and took the little ferry back into the city. Back at home I prepared a pre-dinner hummus using blended chickpeas, olive oil, white wine vinegar, herbes de provence, cayenne and sea salt and pepper. This smooth bowl of heaven was better than any store bought hummus we have tried (and we have tried quite the range).

blending

For the sauce we reduced white wine, grainy mustard (we used honey tarragon), shallots and honey into half on the stove. Once it cooled down we popped in in the blender and added half as much oil as Bishop asked for.

olive oil

I tend to like my sauces a little more acidic, especially with fish, and avoid too much oil when possible. The sauce was a little bland so I threw in a few cloves of garlic and some sea salt and pepper which finished it off nicely

taste test

We sauteed the kale in butter, ginger and garlic and left it to steam while I began my barbeque lesson. The doors of heaven are opening and the angels are singing, I now know how to barbeque. The endless possibilities make me quiver in excitement.

first time on the bbq

I seared the tuna for two minutes on each side on a high heat, leaving it beautifully cooked to medium rare, the pink flesh of the tuna bright on the inside.

ahi tuna

Everything came together beautifully: the steamed kale, the seared tuna and the white wine sauce were light yet hearty, salty and savory. We drank a nice local B.C wine, Mission Hill, with our meal and were both happy with the results.

Since I love new recipes as guidelines for my own I'm excited to play around with this recipe, maybe next time with a miso glaze and crunchy baked kale!

Bon appetit!

ahi tuna and kale

Ahi Tuna with Kale

Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup dry white wine
1 tbsp coarsely chopped shallots
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp grainy mustard
1/2 cup olive oil (I used more like 1/4 cup or less)
*garlic if desired

Reduce ingredients (without olive oil) to half on the stove by bringing to a boil and then simmering. Allow to cool and then slowly blend and add in olive oil.

Tuna and greens:
1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/2 bunch kale (no stems)
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Preheat bbq to a high heat then saute butter, garlic and ginger until aromatic. Add the kale, wet from rinsing, and let it steam with the lid on. Season with salt and pepper. Rub the tuna steaks in vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper and grill to medium rare (2-3 minutes per side).

Put all the goodies together and enjoy with a fine local wine!

DSCN0784
If you have any leftover tuna and dressing use it for a salad the next day! The seared tuna is great cold and the dressing makes for a wonderful vinaigrette over some romaine and fresh vegetables.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These last few posts and the one above are so lively and happy and wonderful! You are clearly radiating happiness!

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Bella Rum said...

My brother is going out fishing for tuna this week, so I'll have some truly fresh tuna and I'll be trying this recipe. Thanks.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home