My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

happiness is a choice


I will be the first to admit I have been very lucky in my life.

In my twenty-two years I have lived well, travelled far, eaten like a queen and have loved and been loved immensely.

There have still been many times when I have chosen not to be happy. As a teenager I dwelled in my unhappiness, vented it out in poetry and always wished for something more. As I climbed out of that uncomfortable stage I learnt, and am still learning, what truly makes me happy. Now I choose to dwell in happiness.

Life is not perfect and I am far from, but it is so rich once you let yourself take a bite. I choose to enjoy every beautiful day, to eat the foods that give me pleasure and keep me healthy. I choose to be kind to people because it makes me happy.

For our anniversary my boyfriend and I took off to Granville Island on an unbelievably warm and sunny day. We grabbed some coffee, sat in the sunshine, and walked the docks and admired all the boats. I decided that one day I will retire on a beautiful boat with a well stocked bar. We ate seafood on a patio underneath a bridge and wandered the island. We stopped into an arts and crafts store where he bought me jewelry from a local artist to celebrate. Her simple designs and thoughtful messages made it hard for me to resist.

I chose a pair of earrings, one says Love and the next says Life, and a necklace with the message 'Happiness is a Choice'. These messages ring deep for me because in the past couple of years, and most strongly in the past few months, I have decided to love life to its fullest and allow myself to be happy.

That night as I served tables, my necklace dangling down my neckline, I had a constant reminder of what's important to me. I had one table who I talked with at length about health and happiness, and they told me I was probably the best waitress they'd ever had. It was a wonderful feeling to put something out there and feel it come right back.

I will not always be happy and I will always let myself cry when I need to. But for the most part I want to love my life and allow myself to get the most out of it. I want to continue to dream, travel, love life and choose happiness.

granville island
beautiful sunday
sandbar patio
Enjoying a Granville Island patio, blanket included!
korean hot pot
About to dig in to a wonderfully spicy Korean hot pot...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a lovely post! Exactly where I'm at, or at least, attempting to be at! It sounds like you've found a great partner who is helping to bring out the best in you, which is wonderful and I hope to hear more about him (hopeless romantic, right here!)

Keep shining!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home