My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

time moves forward and I stand still

This morning Mary and I took off to the market in the early morning light.

This wonderful woman I've been living with is so full of life, and when I mentioned I wanted to go to the market the night before she jumped at the idea and suggested we take off as early as possible.

The weather, good company, and morning market made it easy to crawl out from under my duvet.

As we drove down the sun caressed the red brick buildings of Cabbagetown, and a day as light as summer took over the city. From the car we walked down to the market armed with our plastic shopping bags and grins on our faces.

Mary has become my friend and confidante in the past few months. She took me in at a time when I felt like I had nothing left in this city and gave it all back to me in abundance. Her generosity, warm approach to life and her loving nature inspire me on a daily basis. I feel comfortable by her side and invigorated at the same time.

At the market we took the approach of strolling every aisle before choosing our produce. We passed a couple that are probably older than my grandparents yet are out every Saturday selling eggs from their farm. We passed Ruth from Montfort Dairy, people lining up to buy her incredible goat cheese and crackers. We passed Uncle Al and his barrels of root vegetables, chatty as ever to the customers that stop by.

I picked up some baby eggplants and Ontario Fuji apples before we made our way to the other end of the market for meat and bulked baking goods.

By the time we left my bag was heavy with beautiful produce and all the ingredients I needed to make a fresh batch of my grandmother's Irish dried fruit bread.

On the way home we stopped in to see Mary's brother, still waking up with his morning coffee, but his eyes and smile as bright and welcoming as Mary's at any hour. I got a grand tour of him and his partner's gorgeous space-large windows, spiral staircase and a great patio-before we headed back to the house.

I will miss Mary and all of the gems Toronto has to offer. At the same time, I'm hungry for everything else that is to come. I have been taking my days very slowly, spending a lot of time alone, doing things I think need to get done and trying to wrap my head around it all. I am moving into the next stage of my life and want to do so as gracefully as possible.

Time is moving very quickly and in less than a week I'll be in Vancouver. I, on the other hand, stand still, move slowly, and plot the days to come.

can't you guys pose normally?
The lovely Mary and I, refusing to take a nicely posed picture and me rudely blocking her beautiful face!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home