My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 10, 2005

tofuckit

I've been playing with the idea of becoming a vegetarian. It all started while living amongst vegetarians and a vegan in residence. Next I discovered the joy of tofu and soy milk in Kensington Market. It became more serious after watching the procedures involved in getting the chicken from the farm to your grocery store on a television special.

I've been eating a lot of tofu. I had ham the other day for protein and had difficulty eating it. After drinking soy milk regular milk just doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

The problem is I want to make a well thought out decision. I am held back by the worry that I will go somewhere for dinner, where a main dish of meat has been prepared for me, and I will have to push it away as politely as possible. That I will be traveling in France and unable to enjoy dishes of the region. That one day I will need my steak.

Then it struck me: I don't need to label myself a vegetarian. In the same way that I feel no need to label myself an atheist or an agnostic. I don't need to slide into a category.

I don't want to have to put myself somewhere where I must adhere to certain rules. Where I must live within certain boundaries.

A friend told me I could call myself a 'flexitarian'. I guess if I have to call it something then that would be it.

I'm going to eat what feels write for my body as well as my mind. Food for thought anyone? If I'm turned off by meat no one will force me to eat it. If I feel I need some good old fashioned protein then I shall go right ahead.

I don't think I'll give up tuna either. The thought of little fish being killed somehow doesn't disturb me. I'm a sick sick woman.

To all those who saw me gladly eat pure meat last year...this may come as a shocker. My ideal meal was as much beef as possible-great thanks go out to Memphis Blues for supporting this. Now I have great faith in veggie burgers. Fried tofu makes my mouth water.

I am not strictly vegetarian and do not regard meat as the enemy. It's just not the first thing on my grocery list anymore.
***
other updates:
Aimee is here in toronto, we are both sick with colds and yet sharing the love.
DSCN0055
I am starting to do purses again. I finished the first tonight.
DSCN0698

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home