My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, November 24, 2006

anything to catch your eye

We took the back roads out of the city and drove to the small town where my grandparents live.

With my mom behind the wheel, I screamed the words to Free Falling and danced in my seat. We stopped for lunch at a small town diner. We drove for hours through the continuously changing scenery. There were patches of strip malls and discount stores, but they eventually faded into stretches of land, and smaller, more charming towns. The sun was golden and lit up farm houses, lettuce crops, backyards and the faces of kids playing in the streets.

We visited my brother in his small apartment, with his beautiful girlfriend who's cut her hair like Betty Boop, and his animated kitten who crawled around the room like crazy.

At my grandparents my Irish grandmother had a turkey in the oven. "I wasn't sure what you eat," she said, "but I know you love turkey." My enthusiasm at thanksgiving must have stuck with her. I left the next day armed with her Irish bread, raisin bread and banana bread. She feeds me well. My restless body even slept well in their large house, armed wall to wall with antiques, paintings, photographs and furniture.

I left my mother there and took the train back to Toronto in time for the elections for the school paper. Upstairs in the Imperial Pub I stood up with three young men, passed around a microphone, and fought for the spot of photo editor. Jack Daniels loosened my tongue, but my nerves were running through my body like the first time I thought I knew what love was.

I lost by three votes to a man with a beard and a history of writing for the paper. I'll still contribute what I can, but I won't be the man in charge I had planned on being. He'll be wearing the pants, and I'll still be strutting around in my skirts and boots, small digital camera in hand. What can I say? I guess his lens was bigger than mine.

mother daughter
father daughter
irish grandma
granfather
long way home
caught in a fever
golden moment

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the loss Gill...I know eyeopener election anxiety all too well :( Had I been eligible to vote this time around, it would have been 2 instead of 3. I hope I'll start seeing your pictures in the paper in '07 though, brightening up my wednesday mornings!
-jen

11:12 PM  
Blogger Ayah said...

awww... i once lost a school election for vice president by two votes. i ended up doing all kind of cool theatre stuff that year though, i never would have had time had i of won. doors close/doors open. c'est la vie. it wasn't meant to be love, and there is always next year. by the way... i'm sitting here making you a mix cd. because i love you.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Certain things aren't meant to be, but you keep taking those glorious photos of yours and posting them here at the very least...

7:45 PM  
Blogger Electronsean said...

Hey YOU WERE IN PORT HOPE! I know that building. I grew up there - not the building, the town. Small worlddd! Though I think you commented that on my blog a while ago.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home