My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 25, 2008

pick me up love

Sunlight spills through my room and a cold breeze from the window glides across my bare back.

The morning is welcoming, but I don't want to get out of bed.

I'm afraid of getting up and facing how I feel. I dig deeper into my covers and dream of staying there forever.

The phone rings, and my roommate comes into my room and hands me the phone.

"How do you feel?"

It's my boyfriend, I called him last night and wound up crying for no reason in particular. I'm down, I've been pushing it away, but I can't deny that I just don't feel like myself these days. It's January and the post-holiday blues have settled in. These days I have to scrape for the self-confidence I seemed to be drenched in during December.

"Groggy," I answer, "but maybe better."

I eventually get up and slowly get ready for work. I paint some life into my face. I pull on an outfit to suit my mood, black on black, and slip out the door and into the cold.

The sunshine immediately makes me feel better.

At work, I talk to customers, give the best advice I can, and joke about the January blues.

The more I talk about it the more manageable it seems. Most people I talk to are feeling the same way. My roommate and I talk about wanting to scream and cry at the same time, and end up laughing about it, bonding over it.

Winter won't last forever. I know this. I know that I can't control feeling like this right now.

I plan on pulling myself out of bed every morning until it becomes easier.

winter has come

5 Comments:

Blogger laceybediz said...

I think I was just writing the same blog-- seriously-- January sucks--- I'm over it-- it has taken my inspiration and creativity--ugh-- Thanks for your honest post, it is good to not be alone in these winter blues.

xxx

8:08 PM  
Blogger MiMi said...

Winter blues are horrible.. Keep Your head up. ;) Just think of all the wonderful things that you have in your life and think of things that you want to do when winter is over. Take Care!

11:46 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

it is gloomy and cold here too, believe it or not. but there are no beautiful icicles to look at. your post makes me almost miss the winter.

3:04 AM  
Blogger DOCTalks said...

j'adore ur blog! and it's so true about the winter blues, and sometimes it feels like it's gonna take forever until it passes by. i just try to think about the spring as often as possible, and make plans for then.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

try a full spectrum bulb lamp - the light just might perk you up!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home