My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

midnight baker

I love to bake at odd hours.

The other night I baked a strawberry apple crisp at midnight. In France I once stayed up until two in the morning making plum jam. The other morning I work up before five and baked bran muffins. Last night after dinner the urge hit again, and I set off to make some incredible oatmeal cookies. Late after midnight I was still scraping the last cookies off the pan to cool.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm happiest in the kitchen. When my hands are touching good ingredients and making something wonderful I am terribly content.

I don't have a major sweet tooth but I love batter off the spoon and I melt for anything fresh out of the oven. After I've satisfied those urges I take great pleasure in sharing what I've made.

Some cookies have gone to the restaurant, others to my boyfriend's work and the rest will go to my hairdresser, my dad and of course some for us as well.

Since I can't personally deliver the cookies to all of my readers, I will share the recipe so you can bring the warm smell into your own kitchen.

chewy oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/2 teaspoon allspice
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/2 chopped large bars of good swiss chocolate (chunks make everything better)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine butter, shortening and sugars.
2. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
3. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
4. Add to creamed mixture; mix to blend.
5. Stir in oatmeal and raisins.
6. Drop a tablespoon of dough onto cookie sheet about 2-inches apart. Cookies will spread!
7. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes.
8. When you take them out of the oven they will be very soft, so carefully put them on plates or leave on cookie sheet to cool before moving to rack.
8. Remove to a cooling rack.
9. Indulge!

4 Comments:

Blogger RICHARD PARKER said...

thanks gilgil!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

omg, this recipe sounds delicious. i love the aroma the spices will create. thanks.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Ah! I'm happy to see a fellow oatmeal cookie baker who uses cloves and allspice, rather than just cinnamon by itself! there's nothing better than a spicy oatmeal cookie! I also use a bit of fresh grated nutmeg, and instead of the chocolate, I add dried cranberries and cherries, as well as golden raisins...a very festive take on a classic (depending on the recipient or season, I'll call them Solstice Cookies or Hippie Cookies)

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Zohreh said...

I'm totally making these tonight! I've always loved baking late at night. Now it's the only time I can bake - new baby plus baking equals many burnt items if attempted during the day!

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home