My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

a taste of summer

I woke up to the sun crawling under the curtains in my bedroom, peaking their ways through the cracks and the fine white fabric.

I threw on my bathroom and stumbled into the kitchen, poured myself a cup of tea, and broke open the tupperware to the freshly baked goods inside.

home

There is nothing more decadent than freshly baked goods in the morning. I wrapped my mouth around some coconut oatmeal bars, and then one of the rich oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies. Satisfaction.

I love to be in my family home in the summer. I have been spending most of my time downtown because of work, but head home whenever I have a day off.

My boyfriend and I stayed up late the night before, roasting a wild spring salmon which we served with rhubarb compote. We had the coconut bars drizzled in syrup for dessert, then read tarot cards for fun while finishing our wine.

The next day I didn't work until the evening so I took my time, enjoyed my morning pastries, and stewed the rest of the rhubarb to make a syrup for our morning pan-crepes this weekend (recipe and explanation of a pan-crepe to come).

I walked by the water long enough to get a mild sunburn, a healthy reminder to stock up on sunscreen, and was enamored with the heat that's finally come.

Back at home I lay on my deck reading cookbooks in the sun, warm, content, invigorated with ideas of what to cook next.

I made it back downtown in time for work, served tables with a smile on my face and left with some cash on my pocket.

The days of summer nurture my soul like the sun on cold skin. I feel myself becoming more and more alive, fitting perfectly into my own skin and sure of myself once more.

Spring was delicious but summer is mouth watering, and I look forward to every warm day to come.

wild salmon with rhubarb compote

Spring Salmon with Rhubarb Compote

Ingredients:
Fresh wild salmon
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 finely chopped red onion
3-4 cups rhubarb

1. Reduce the rice vinegar, sugar, onion and ginger on the stove
2. Add the rhubarb and simmer together for 30-45 minutes (we burnt it a little which was still delicious)
3. Sear the salmon on one side (3-4 minutes)
4. Finish cooking salmon in the oven (5 minutes)
5. Plate salmon with compote and enjoy the delicious blend of flavors!

coconut oatmeal bread

Coconut Oatmeal Bread
(Adapted from Krista's Coconut lime bars)


Bars:
1 cup oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp agave nectar
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 egg and 1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

Glaze:
1 tsp. powdered sugar
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 cup toasted sweetened coconut (for topping)

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl
3. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl
4. Add wet to dry and stir until just combined
5. Pour batter in a greased 8x8 pan
6. Bake for 25 minutes
7. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack
8. In the meantime, mix the powdered sugar and lime juice until you get a glaze like consistency. *Pour over bars and spread to edges
9. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and cut into bars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home