My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nicheoriginals.ca/gillianyoung/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 11, 2008

away, but not too far away

I am aching to take a big trip right now.

But instead I've taken a little one, because the following months are filled with travel, so now I must stay somewhat still.

Which is why I'm in Port Hope, an hour by train from Toronto, visiting my grandparents and my brother.

The days are slow, but force me to slow down, clear my head and reflect on the past couple of months and this crazy summer.

I wish my summer was a little more fun and sun filled, but it has been great in its own way. I have started a business with my beau, joined a catering company that feels like my extended family, left my retail job under excellent conditions, gone to Vancouver for a week, and have learnt a lot about life, love, and family. I've opened myself up several times, cried my heart out, and have spoken more honestly to people recently than I have in years.

Before coming to Port Hope I made an ever bolder move. I bought a bicycle. I never learned to ride a bicycle. The thought terrifies me. It is one of my greatest desires to bike around the city, but also one of my greatest fears. So my boyfriend and I walked to the pawn shop, where I spotted a bright pink bike and immediately bought it.

We spent an evening practicing down a hallway in our building, but I still can't stay up straight. This is going to take some serious work. But I will ride my bike. I will. And when I'm good enough, I may even get my bike a little basket. I tried to take it to Port Hope with me, but was told at the train station that I couldn't (10 minutes before my train...I ran around like a pigeon before discovering I could store it in the baggage department). So my lessons are on hold but will resume shortly.

In the meantime, I am going to antique fairs with my grandparents, spending time with my brother, organizing small things for the business, and gathering my thoughts.

***I regret to inform you that I do not have my camera, because I packed next to nothing so that I could manage carrying my bike on the bus and on the subway to the train station. Now I have no bike with me, no camera, no warm clothes or shoes other than flip flops. And it won't stop raining. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

2 Comments:

Blogger daringtowrite said...

:) i look forward to hearing more about your bicycling adventures

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to see how much u love ur family!

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home